There are many cases of teenagers who suffer from depression problems for many different reasons. Due to this psychological illness, there are many teens that are usually disobedient, out of control and extremely difficult to handle. When depression in teens becomes severe, affected teenagers usually have a hard time get through with their activities and deal with other people. Below are common signs as well as a very insightful video at the bottom of this page from a teenager who suffered from depression and her advice on what symptoms to look for.
There are common symptoms of teen depression, and at times, the symptoms are similar with adult depression. It is essential to watch out for the symptoms, in order to help the suffering patient overcome his/her depression and become a normal individual.
Common Signs of Depression in Teens:
• Lack of appetite – most teens would lose their appetite rapidly because they feel down and dejected.
• Uneasiness and irritability – most teenagers would feel irritable most of the time that they are always not in a good mood.
• Sleeping problems – teens would most likely have sleeping issues; either they would have enough sleep, or too much sleep.
• Weight changes – when teens would experience rapid weight loss or increase in weight. This is also due to the change of appetite.
• Mood changes – teens would have feelings of sadness or feeling lonely most of the time. hey would even cry during some times.
Causes of Depression in Teens:
• Hereditary factors – a lot of teen depression are caused of hereditary factors.
• Hormonal changes – this cause is common for most girl teenagers, especially during the times when they start their premenstrual period.
• Unlikely life events – when there is a certain event, tragic or traumatic, teens could develop depression problems.
• Family issues – a lot of teenager depression cases are caused due to family problems. One example is when their parents are facing separation problems, or their parents are always fighting and shouting.
• Childhood neglect – when teens were not able to receive nurturing at home, most likely they develop depression issues. They also tend to develop low self-esteem because they have no guidance while they were growing up.
It is essential to determine the root cause of the depression problem, in order to easily find the perfect treatment for the psychological issue. Just like any other condition, a thorough diagnosis is required. A physical examination should be performed to find out any possible medical conditions are associated with the problem. These conditions may be the cause of the depression symptoms. When a physical cause in not determined, it may require the teen to seek mental help from professional health experts who specializes in depression in teens.
There are several treatments intended specifically for teens suffering from depression. These programs can help them boost their self-esteem, develop self-independence, and overcome anger issues. There are also antidepressant medications given to patients to help them feel relaxed. Patients taking these medications are closely monitored in order to watch out for aggravation symptoms.